Sunday, April 15, 2012

Granny Squares

(***Tip for attaching traditional Granny Squares while making them, included at the bottom.***)

Yes, even though I am clearly not done with the new afghan for the couch, I'm already planning my next project.

I mentioned previously, I get bored easily, so monotonous projects tend to take me months, while small or ever changing stuff I can get done in a day or few depending on the size of the project.


I'm considering a new granny square. I spent the last week flipping through thousands of images of granny squares or variations thereof. Some are more detailed than others, which of course has made me now desperately want to start one.

Problem. Granny squares are insanely repetitive, and then there's the part about sewing all the pieces together. Ug.....

The last granny square I started, was 5 years ago. 256 pieces in 4 colors. I made all the pieces. I sewed 18 of them together, and the rest sit in grocery bags at the bottom of a box. I found out about 2 years after making all the pieces, that there's an easier way to attach them. I'll include this little tip a bit later. So, spend countless hours sewing them all together and tucking all the ends? Or maybe throw them out and start over? Make 4 scarves, or any number of random other projects? Meh, alone they sit at the bottom of a box.

So how about spicing up the granny squares? 100 different patterns? Perhaps. Still though, sewing them all together is very frustrating, as is tucking 200+ ends.

Then looking at pictures like those posted below, makes me want to grab every scrap of yarn I have and get started.

By zigeunerfliede on Flickr
By peterp on Flickr

By Judith*Green on Flickr

Meme-Rose.blogspot.com
We'll see what I decide to do in the coming weeks.

On to joining:

There are many different ways to join pieces. I'm sure I've tried all of them. The easiest way to join traditional granny squares that I've found, is to join them while you make them.





1) Complete one square(Square A).
2) When beginning the final row of your 2nd square(Square B), line up with A.
3) Proceed with the pattern normally up to the first corner. Complete your three DC, ch 1.
4) Complete a sl st in the ch 1 corner sp on A, ch 1, continue with 3 DC to finish out your corner on B. Your corners should now be connected with a sl st.
5) 3 DC in next ch 1 sp on B, this should bring you to the next ch 1 space on A. Instead of ch 1, sl st to ch 1 on A, then ch 1, and then 3DC in next ch 1 space on B. Continue in pattern to corner.
6) Repeat steps 3 and 4, and continue with remainder of row.

The above steps will join Squares A, B, and C. When joining square D to complete a 4-square granny square, in the middle, you'll want to sl st in to the corner for both squares B and C. This will help to hold the entire set together.

In text this process can be very confusing. Sometimes it's just easier to see it in pictures. I found this pictorial walk-through from Sarah London Textiles to be incredibly helpful: How To Join Granny Squares

Happy hooking!




1 comment:

  1. I love Granny Squares even though they can be time consuming in the end. They are so versatile.

    ReplyDelete