Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Doily Adventure


I loved this doily project so much, I felt it deserved revisiting. I made this one two years ago this week for my boyfriend's Mom's Birthday. It has become the centerpiece of her table during the holidays.

This pattern is gorgeous and very easy to work up if you pay close attention. The beauty is in the details. I spent somewhere between 24 and 30 hours on it. Which would have been far shorter, had I paid closer attention and not had to rip half of it out when I found a mistake. Worth every minute though, and I've learned a lot about doilies since.

I used J&P Coats Royale Classic Crochet Thread (Size 10) with a size C crochet hook. I wanted it big.

The name of the pattern is "Audrey" and it's written by Margaret Rost.

You can find the pattern book at the URL below, although I was lucky enough to find it at Joann's Fabric and Crafts on sale.

Amazon - Leisure Arts #2934, A Dozen Doilies

I do intend to start another from the same book soon. If you have a Ravelry account, I definitely recommend taking a look at the other patterns in the same book. Some of them are just gorgeous!

Ravelry - Leisure Arts #2934, A Dozen Doilies - Patterns

I used the pattern for "Anastasia" by Ocie Jordan, to get me rolling on the below project, taking her lead on the start of the pattern. I greatly expanded it, and used a J-hook and some old Caron Simply Soft that I had stashed away for a rainy day.


After I fixed the curling problem, I put it away. It's now been nearly two and a half years since I picked it up last. I may actually make an attempt to finish it.

My next doily project though, will likely be a rug. I've found some beautiful creations using multiple strands of yarn or cut up old sheets and a giant hook to create some gorgeous rugs from doily patterns. I'm rather anxious to try one out.

There are some really neat ones featured in this blog:

The Wool Acorn - Crochet Rugs Doily Rugs

And these for sale on Etsy:


Camille Designs
Hennas Boutique

Happy crocheting!






No comments:

Post a Comment